In 2012, about half of all Americans suffered from some sort of chronic disease, such as diabetes, heart disease, or lung disease. In addition to this excessive amount of people suffering, the health care system is suffering as well. $3 out of $4 in health care are spent on chronic disease. Reducing and better managing chronic diseases has the potential to improve the lifestyle of millions of adults in the US while also cutting costs for healthcare providers.
In recent years, the growing epidemic of chronic disease in America has not gone unnoticed. Many healthcare providers have started allocating resources to better inform and educate people about chronic diseases and how to prevent and manage them. Different ways that providers are assisting patients in managing chronic diseases is often called chronic care management, and it is the change that America needs in the business of health care.
Four of the most common models for chronic care management have been proven to also produce the greatest ROI for organizations: care coordination, case management, health promotion, and disease management all contributed to a better quality of life for patients and increased savings for organizations.
Check out the infographic below to learn more about why chronic care management is the future of health care.
Chronic Disease & Chronic Care Management Statistics
- 4 out of 5 adults aged 50+ years suffer from at least 1 chronic disease.
- 7 out of 10 deaths each year are caused from chronic disease.
- In 2012, 117 million adults suffered from one or more chronic disease.
- Heart disease, diabetes and stroke are among the most common and costly forms of chronic disease.
- 49% of adults who have chronic disease have one chronic disease, 28% have two, and 23% have three or more.
- Chronic diseases account for $3 out of every $4 dollars spent on health care.
- Heart disease and stroke: $432 billion/year
- Diabetes: $174 billion/year
- Lung disease: $154 billion/year
- Alzheimer's: $148 billion/year
Where does private insurance spending go?
- Top 1% of members make up 25% of cost
- 50% of members with the least annual spending make up only 3% of cost
Savings for healthcare providers by chronic management model:
- Care coordination: 4 to 9
- Case management: 2 to 7
- Health promotion: 1 to 3
- Disease management: 1 to 3
How eQHealth Solutions Can Help
Partnering with eQHS means working with people who have 25+ years of experience with working with Medicare populations. Along with experienced care coordination clinicians, strong internal IT infrastructure and strong internal IT infrastructure, eQHealth Solutions also offers a could-based care plan management software called eQCare. eQCare offers 24/7 care plan access, a patient-centered care plan and care plan management and tracking. To find out more about the services that eQHealth Solutions offers, contact us today.